[CT Birds] Chaney Preserve in Salem/Montville area: Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers, Acadian Flycatcher

Carolyn sailcarm at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 14:03:22 EDT 2017

After reading earlier in the week the article in The Day about the Chaney Preserve in Salem/Montville and its new clear cut habitat, I decided to check it out this morn.  I was there several years ago and remember seeing several WE Warblers.  I was not disappointed!

Highlights:

6 Worm-eating Warblers

1 Hooded Warbler m. (Saw one on way in and one on way back, most likely same bird.  It is quite a ways in, just after the stone wall)

1 Acadian Flycatcher seen and heard, same area as Hooded.

BB Cuckoos calling in several spots

several Eastern Wood Pewees.

All the forest birds that one would expect to hear were vocalizing.  Red-throated Vireos everywhere, 1 Yellow-throated heard, and 1 Warbling Vireo heard.  Many Redstarts.

1 Scarlet Tanager, 2 RB Grosbeaks, and several Baltimore Orioles

Not much in the clear cut area yet, but I am sure in a couple of years that will change!

Thanks to Andy Rzez and company for all their efforts to make this an enduring and appreciated habitat.

Path is very easy to walk, straight in and out.  Clear cut near the end.  About a mile in. Some hilly terrain and a bit muddy just before clearcut.  Thanks for leaving the big shady tree in the middle of the clear cut.

Some mosquitos.  Wear a hat if you do not want caterpillars in your hair!!

Nice spot.

See eBird complete list of species seen

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford