[CT Birds] Plainville and Bristol birding this morning

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri Jun 2 15:18:34 EDT 2017

     I went to Tomasso Nature Preserve in Plainville this morning.  The BANK SWALLOW colony has a few nest holes started, but most of the birds were foraging above the sand bank.  I saw a PEREGRINE FALCON soaring over the old landfill area, and then went into a dive behind the hill.  I'm not sure if this would be a late migrant or if there might be some nesting activity going on in the area.  There area plenty of cliff faces and radio towers in the area that might be available to them.  Also saw an ORCHARD ORIOLE on the berm between the two ponds.    In the Chippen's Hill area of Bristol, I went in search of BOBOLINKS and found some on Marsh Rd.in the field across from the golf course entrance, and on Hill St. in the fields just north of James P Casey Rd (viewed from pull-off on road).  At Roberts Field off Perkin's St. (aka Bristol Dog Park), there were at least 2 GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS singing from the grasses below the barn.  Also heard a BROWN THRASHER in the southeast corner of the field.
Jack Swatt