[CT Birds] [NOSbird] TICKS -and permethrin and cats

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 16:03:57 EDT 2017

I am a cat lover and was a cat owner for many years, but the  last one was
gone before I ever used permethrin, so I knew nothing about  any issues. But
the question of cat safety has come up several times  since I posted on
this. I looked it up on Google and the unanimous answer  seems to be that it is
safe for pets once it dries thoroughly.
If you are interested in reading the safety precautions on the  label, look
up "Permethrin for ticks" or something similar on Amazon,  and you will get
a page with the product that shows the complete label. All it  says is
"hazards for humans and domestic animals". It does not single out cats.  There
is also an interesting and informative video you can watch, by the
manufacturer, of course.
There are many pages that address this on line and all say it  is safe once
it is dried. However it does not say what would happen with  clothing that
gets wet from dew, etc., as mine often does in the morning.
I think the answer for me would be to keep the treated  clothing, even when
dry away from my animals (not let them lie on my lap or  etc.) That should
be easy enough to do in a drawer or clothes bag or etc. But If  you have
cats I would consider carefully what is right for you.
I treat my clothing outdoors, draped over a split rail fence on  a sunny
day, and there is no doubt that if there is any breeze it will blow to  some
extent. I would make sure no cats are in the area then or find another way.
But it dries very quickly in the sunshine, and you can put it away in an
hour or  two. It's dry to the touch in 15 minutes.
In case anyone wonders, I have absolutely no "interest" in  this product. I
am a user and I posted because it is useful to me and might be  to others.
Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct

In a message dated 6/2/2017 7:18:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,