[CT Birds] Eagle/Osprey interaction

Stuart Winquist stuartwinquist at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 4 11:25:03 EDT 2017

Yesterday while at Circle Beach boat launch in Madison, we saw an Osprey power dive on a soaring Bald Eagle that the osprey felt encroached on its air space above its nest.  The bald eagle executed a nimble barrel role to  extend its talons skyward.  I have never seen an eagle move that fast even when chasing osprey to steal their fish.  It was over in a split second and the eagle casually left the scene of the confrontation.  Russ Smiley caught it in a series of pictures that really capture the moment, and which he posted on eBird.

Stuart Winquist, East Hampton

Sent from my iPhone