[CT Birds] Westport Highlights by boat- Red-necked Grebe

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 11:26:24 EDT 2017

Westport- Cockenoe Island and Norwalk Islands area-
Red-necked Grebe in stunning breeding plumage spotted between Seymour's Rock and Saugatuck Shores sitting on the water,still some nice shorebirds including 26 American Oystercatchers (sadly only 4 juvenile birds),Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers,80 Ruddy Turnstones, 3 Red Knots,Dunlin,& Semipalmated Sandpipers,( no Purple Sandpipers, we checked hard for these,no Black Skimmers either),4 Tern species including Least,Roseate,& Forster's(1 of each), and lots of nesting Common.

Note that earlier this morning I had a Black Tern,seen from Sherwood Island and shortly thereafter, Jory Teltser and Aidan Kiley saw the Black Tern from Compo Beach.So 5 Tern species were seen in Westport this morning.

Tina Green
with AJ & Sue Hand
Sent from my iPhone