[CT Birds] Auerfarm S.P.

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 10 15:01:53 EDT 2017

I went to our newest state park, Auerfarm in Bloomfield, for the summer count. As you walk up the hill, you see the extensive area has been kept as grassland. Counted 20 Bobolinks...probably many more in the grasses. Over 30 red-winged blackbirds and 7 Baltimore Orioles. Not only is this pristine grassland, but the view from the hilltop of the Metacomet Ridge is spectacular. Many little butterflies as well. Also got a chance to talk to some kids on a hayride about Bobolinks and the importance of saving these areas. Auerfarm itself does a very nice educational program for kids.

In the past I have seen kestrels in the area. It is worth a visit.

Zellene