[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw,/Yale Forest, Asford/Union, 6-8-17

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jun 10 20:41:42 EDT 2017

Belated report, but it was a good day. Before I even left home  I watched a
Pileated woodpecker destroying a log in my yard to get at the ants  inside.
My first ever Great Horned Owl in the Yale Forest area. It was  on Reed Rd
in Union about 2/10 of a mile outside of the Yale forest and about a  mile
from the Barred Owl, which I saw also. That's pretty close for a couple of
competitors who don't like each other.

Jun 8, 2017 7:45 AM  - 1:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
58 species (+1 other  taxa)

Turkey Vulture  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered  Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  10
Yellow-billed/Black-billed  Cuckoo  1
Great Horned Owl  1     First ever for me  in the Yale Forest area.
Actually about 2/10 miles from the Yale property  at the end of Reed Road in Union.
Barred Owl  1
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  2