[CT Birds] Montville: Morgan Chaney Sanctuary

Carolyn sailcarm at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 16:53:05 EDT 2017

Last week I posted about the Turner St entrance to the Chaney Sanctuary which is one of the CT Audubon preserves.  Along with the forest trails, it now has a clearcut area which should become an excellent early successional habitat.  It already is hosting some exciting birds.

Today I visited the Sanctuary again and entered via the Fire St forest trail.  The access to the clearcut area is much quicker via this entrance and is  well marked with a sign.

The forest trail had 21 species including most of the nesters that one would expect at this time.

Highlights on the forest trail were:

1 Acadian Flycatcher

3 Louisiana Waterthrush

1 Worm-eating Warbler (there have to be more: it is excellent WE Warbler habitat, and I had several last week at the other entrance)

2 BB Cuckoo

3 E. Wood Pewee

2 RT Hummingbirds
********
Clearcut area had 23 species of birds.  Not bad for a new birding site!

Highlights for me:

2 E. Bluebirds
1 RB Grosbeak
1 Indigo Bunting
2 E. Phoebes at nest site
1 YB Cuckoo
2 Great Crested Flycatchers

Both Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks were soaring nearby.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford

Sent from my iPhone