[CT Birds] BT Spraying a Quandary and Perhaps Cautionary Tale

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jun 12 10:32:17 EDT 2017

I got a call from someone who wanted me to pass this along to the birding community.   They had their trees sprayed with BT recently, a bacterial treatment for gypsy moths and other insect pests.  They returned to find their House Wren dead and their local Gray Catbird missing.  The hypothesis put forward was that perhaps some of the inert ingredients may have been toxic, or perhaps the pressure of the spray may have caused traumatic injury to the birds.  The active ingredients of the spay should not have been harmful to birds.

I'm not sure we could ever know, but I promised I would pass this cautionary tale along.

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115  http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/StratfordPoint/