[CT Birds] Q River - Least Bittern

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 10:52:38 EDT 2017

Hi all,

On the evening of June 12 I kayaked a portion of the Quinnipiac River
from Sackett Point Rd in North Haven. I covered approximately 2.5
miles, mostly upriver. The most interesting sighting came a bit
downriver near sunset, where a Least Bittern was hunting the edge of
the main channel. Unfortunately there is no land access close to this
part of the marsh, so access is via boat only. If anyone is out there
on the river and would like the location of the bird, email me
off-list and I will give directions.

Otherwise, one Virginia Rail was heard, several Bank Swallows were
foraging along the river, a half-dozen Spotted Sandpipers were seen
thus must breed here, and an Orchard Oriole was heard singing upriver
from the road launch site.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com