[CT Birds] Q River - Least Bittern

marymushinsky at att.net marymushinsky at att.net
Fri Jun 16 13:23:09 EDT 2017

Good work, Nick! Those species were recorded in the late 1990' s and in mid-2000's during marsh paddles, but not recently. Good to know they are still present. Mary Mushinsky, Wallingford
Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
------ Original message------From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirdsDate: Thu, Jun 15, 2017 10:53 AMTo: CTBirds;Cc: Subject:[CT Birds] Q River - Least Bittern
Hi all,On the evening of June 12 I kayaked a portion of the Quinnipiac Riverfrom Sackett Point Rd in North Haven. I covered approximately 2.5miles, mostly upriver. The most interesting sighting came a bitdownriver near sunset, where a Least Bittern was hunting the edge ofthe main channel. Unfortunately there is no land access close to thispart of the marsh, so access is via boat only. If anyone is out thereon the river and would like the location of the bird, email meoff-list and I will give directions.Otherwise, one Virginia Rail was heard, several Bank Swallows wereforaging along the river, a half-dozen Spotted Sandpipers were seenthus must breed here, and an Orchard Oriole was heard singing upriverfrom the road launch site.Nick BonomoWallingford, CTwww.shorebirder.com_______________________________________________This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org