[CT Birds] Great Crested Flycatcher

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Mon Jun 19 21:15:56 EDT 2017

On the New Haven Summer Bird Count, the most productive area for Great Crested Flycatcher is Area C West Rock & East.  West Rock is in the towns of New Haven, Hamden, Woodbridge, and Bethany.  In Area C, we typically record 30-40% of all Great Crested Flycatchers counted in the entire NH SBC count circle.  This year, we recorded 30 individuals, our second highest total since New Haven’s first SBC in 1991.  Our highest count was 31 Great Crested Flycatchers in 2005.  The species was in good evidence this year.

On the other hand, Wood Thrushes were in somewhat reduced numbers on the West Rock ridge top.

Steve Broker
Cheshire