[CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, 6-22-17; 3 Cuckoos

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 22:28:56 EDT 2017

I have had at least one Cuckoo almost every day, and 3 today, 2
Yellow-billed, 1 Black-billed. (From my Ebird report):
These birds of both species have been around long enough now that I have
hopes they will stay and nest. I am more often hearing their clicking calls
than  cuckoo calls. A larger number than normal came in this year, but they
are  undoubtedly staying because of the tent caterpillars (heavier than
normal  infestation) and now the gypsy moth caterpillars. This is the first time
in 10  yrs I've seen a significant infestation and it is very heavy; some
trees eaten  bare. But it's a bonanza for the cuckoos!

The other species are still around, some finished nesting, some still on
eggs or with young in the nest, and only a few that have not begun nesting
yet.  Goldfinches won't start till July. Some species are quiet now and hard
to find,  some have begun to sing again and others about as they have been.
The 3 Red-shouldered Hawk nestlings are fledging. 1 left the nest yesterday
 and the other two seem nearly ready. 1 has been flying to a branch and
back to  the nest again.

Jun 22, 2017 7:30 AM  - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
62 species

Wild  Turkey  4
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Broad-winged  Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   12
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2     These birds of both  species have been around
long enough now that I have hopes they will stay and  nest. I am more often
hearing their clicking calls than cuckoo calls. A larger  number than normal
came in this year, but they are undoubtedly staying because  of the tent
caterpillars (heavier than normal infestation) and now the gypsy  moth
caterpillars. This is the first time in 10 yrs I've seen a significant  infestation
and it is very heavy; some trees eaten bare. But it's a bonanza for  the
cuckoos!
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1