[CT Birds] Sikorsky Airport Ospreys

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 21 20:58:14 EDT 2017

Hi Tony,
I have been keeping an eye on this new Osprey nest (atop the concrete support for the old Corsair plane). This pair started nesting a bit later than other area pairs, so it seemed she was still incubating eggs...as of yesterday.
This afternoon I was shocked when I drove in the airport entrance road. There was no adult on the nest, and then I noticed some of the nest sticks on the ground. It certainly seems as though someone or something disturbed the nest, and the pair abandoned the nest. There was one adult perched on a distant light pole.
More monitoring is needed to try to determine what happened, and to see if they will attempt re-nesting.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone