[CT Birds] W-e Vireo Southbury

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 12:26:24 EDT 2017

This morning there was a very reluctant singing White-eyed Vireo at Peach Orchard Road and E. Flat Hill Rod in Southbury. I had been standing there for almost 10 minutes when it sang twice and then got quiet again. This follows one I reported last week in Bethlehem.  The whole rural area  just W of Waterbury has produced quite a few of these over the years (many by Russ Naylor while biking), but they move around a lot from year-to-year and can be very unpredictable in their singing at a known location.
Wood Thrushes continue to be quite vocal in this area. Yesterday I did a 5-mile loop centering on L Quassapaug in Middlebury and had 9 singing birds. Had 4 and a couple Hooded Warblers while moving around Southbury this morning.
Greg HanisekWaterbury