[CT Birds] (no subject)

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 18:33:04 EDT 2017

I am waiting for thunder to roll and lightning to strike, but I  totally,
and I mean TOTALLY agree with Mark S on this. (Hmmmm, nothing yet; so  far so
good). King Rail does not have threatened status and is still  hunted in
several southern states. It is not even way out of range; it breeds in  the
northeast. Specifically, throughout New Jersey, in appropriate habitat. It
seems to me there has already been another seen in CT this season.
The first thing I saw about the bird on this list was some very  pompous
and scolding comments about anyone that would dare to post about it or  even
put it on Ebird.
The implication was that this bird should be hidden and guarded  at all
costs for it's own safety. However the truth is, that means  hidden for the
chosen few , who, of course, must see the bird to guarantee  for posterity that
it really is a King Rail. There are probably 100 of those  people who would
be informed under any circumstances, so it's not really  that no one would
know.  Of course, most of  those people have already seen King Rails,
probably at least a few.
But it would be terrible if the great unwashed, i.e. the  every day birder
on this list, for whom it would be a life bird and a great  one, actually
had a chance to see it.
But of course, they can't be trusted. They might tell someone  else. They
might actually take a picture of it with their point and shoot  camera, even
though the in crowd is more likely to show up with 20 pounds of  camera and
lens. By the way, I'm not necessarily knocking that either, it's just  that
it certainly makes the possibility of disturbance greater.
If you or I or anyone sees a "special" bird it is, of  course, personal
choice whether to tell anyone else or not. But the purpose  of this list is to
inform the CT birding public of of any and all birds that  might be of
interest so that they may have an opportunity to see them if they  choose to go
and look. And if you read this list for that purpose and then  choose not to
divulge the location when the time comes that you see one, as far  as I'm
concerned you have violated the trust of all those who posted before you.  I,
personally, will take offense at that.
This bird is not even particularly rare, and certainly not  critically
endangered. but here's a case in point.
The rarest bird that I personally have ever seen, in terms of  its
likelihood in the U.S. was the Northern Lapwing that showed up at UConn a  few years
ago. It was posted as soon as it was seen and even though I (who live  5
mi. from UConn) was at Lighthouse Point in New Haven at the time, I was able
to head towards home  and actually have a good look at the bird.
But the real point is, so did hundreds of CT birders, most of  whom were
already there by the time I arrived. The bird seemed totally  unconcerned. But
it was finally flushed ... by a jogger with a dog who was  totally
oblivious to the situation and went right up to the bird. Which probably  would have
happened with or without birders.
So as far as I'm concerned the argument of defending the bird  is pure
hyperbole except possibly in a very few unusual cases. I think the vast
majority of birders in this state are models of decorum when it comes to birding
etiquette, and the few who either don't know or don't care are likely to be
reminded.
Hmmmmm, still no lightning; guess I'll quit while I have the  chance.

Message: 2