[CT Birds] R-n Ducks Bantam L.

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 11:54:29 EDT 2017

I took a quick run to Bamam L in Litchfield this a.m. to check for waterbirds. Much to my surprise, the sun was out by the time I got there. I was even more surprised to see a pair (in the true sense of the word - male and female together in breedings season) of Ring-necked Ducks, They were in the North Bay near the concrete pylons.  A wide array of non-breeding waterfowl linger into breeding season (mostly on Long Island Sound) but finding a male and female together in breeding-type habitat is very unusual. I'm not suggesting these are breeding. Ring-necked Ducks aren't known to breed at out latitude. But this does raise the possibility. I got the definition of a record shot - not good but identifiable and significant.
Greg HanisekWaterbury