[CT Birds] CT Audubon names new Executive Director

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jun 29 15:40:01 EDT 2017

Thank you very much Miley and also to everyone for their kind words.   I'm excited about the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.   There is a lot that needs to be done to conserve birds, other wildlife and their habitats in Connecticut and I'm sure there are many unforeseen threats and opportunities that lie ahead.   We will need all the help we can get and I am heartened by the outpouring of goodwill and offers of help that have been expressed!

I also wanted to thank the many of you who have helped and supported me along the way in this process and throughout my career in conservation.  Together we have accomplished amazing things over the last ~20 years and I am sure that is just the beginning.   As I said in my statement for Audubon Connecticut, I never would have believed them if someone had told me on my first day at Audubon that we would have done things like prevent the development and subsequently protect the former Griswold Airport and Guilford Sluice, help protect nearly a square mile of habitat at the tidal headwaters of the East River in Guilford, add nearly 200 acres to Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, welcome a new Wildlife Management area that hosts nesting Grasshopper Sparrows (Suffield), help to add significant acreage to my former office at the Salt Meadow Unit of the McKinney National Wildlife Refuge and add three islands to the Refuge (including my favorite, Menunketesuck), help enable the addition of more than 600 acres to the Conte Refuge in Connecticut and ~4,000 more acres in the other watershed states, remove the cottages and restore habitat at Long Beach West, leverage policy work that led to the return of whales to Long Island Sound and things like the 814 Northern Gannets we saw in April from Stratford Point or see 63 nesting pairs of American Oystercatchers and Piping Plovers in Connecticut in 2016!   And of course the improvements we have been able to make at Stratford Point.

I owe a debt of gratitude especially to my coworkers here at Audubon Connecticut and other conservation partners I have worked with over the years and so many of you from the birding community for your help along the way.  I would be remiss without special mention of the late Sandy Breslin, my good friend with whom I worked so closely with on so many of those projects.     Thank you Sandy!

Phone: (203)405-9115  http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook:

Plants for Birds!
Find the best plants in your area on Audubon's new Plants for Birds Database here
...and check out this cool video about the campaign here!