[CT Birds] extreme feeder eating?

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Wed Jul 5 08:11:23 EDT 2017

Question for anyone who is still feeding the birds this time of year:
are your yard birds scoffing down seed like there's no tomorrow? I offer
2 feeders' worth of sunflower seed, plus 2 thistle feeders and 2 suet
cages. (We usually don't have that much thistle going, but the finches
are numerous this year.) The sunflower feeders are getting cleaned out
very quickly - this morning, I filled both from bottom to top at 6:30am,
and by 7:30, they were empty.
We don't have large flocks of blackbirds or gobbling blue jays coming
through. No bears. And while there are some seed hulls on the ground,
it's not like the feeders are being shaken out.
I know the birds started eating more last summer, but I've never seen it
this extreme. At this rate, I might as well put the birds through
college. So is anyone else seeing this? Perhaps an indication of a lack
of food sources?
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester