[CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest Update Ashford/Union for Wed, 7/5/17 2 Cuckoos, Fld Sparrow

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 23:30:31 EDT 2017

As expected at this time of year the activity is quieting down  as most
species are now though the nesting period. Lots of juvie birds and still  some
family groups.
After the unexpected die-off of the Gypsy Moth caterpillars  I thought the
Cuckoos would move out of the area, but on Wednesday I had 1  of each,
Black-billed seen at close range and Yellow-billed calling within 100  yards of
where I had seen one and heard one previously, at different times.  Another
Barred Owl sighting along Boston Hollow Rd. And a pleasant surprise, a  Field
Sparrow calling On Kinney Hollow Rd; only the 2nd I've ever had in the
Yale Forest. There is still an Acadian Flycatcher calling, now along Boston
Hollow Rd near the old gravel pits. 1 was in the same area 2 or 3  years ago.
It calls only occasionally, but I heard it once and later realized I  had it
twice more on a recording I made of another bird.
This is actually the highest species count I've had there this  year,
although for many species the number of birds has decreased. But something  was
going on with the Veerys. I heard and saw more than I've ever had in on day
before, and in some areas it was bedlam in early morning with the birds
singing  over each other so continuously it was impossible to begin to get an
accurate  count. Still about the same numbers of singing Hermit and Wood
Jul 5, 2017 7:15 AM  - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
66 species

Wild  Turkey  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  2   2 fledglings still hanging around nest and
screaming for  food
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning  Dove  12
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1     300 yds N of  Union line. Saw one and heard one
within 100 yds before.
Black-billed  Cuckoo  1     At the small pond at the Barlow Mill Rd swamp,
actively foraging
Barred Owl  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  5
Hairy  Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker   4
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1      Haven't found the one on Axe Factory Rd last few
times but today i heard one on  BH Rd near the old gravel pits. Heard only
once so not 100% sure fortunately I  recorded a Scarlet Tanager in the area.
On the recording I heard 2 more calls to  confirm
Least Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  12
Great Crested  Flycatcher  5
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Warbling Vireo   1
Red-eyed Vireo  15
Blue Jay  10
Tree Swallow   6
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper   1
Winter Wren  1     out of his area, near  B H blue  trail crossing
Veery  40     Veery Day. Never heard and  saw so many before. Impossible to
count at many locations because so many  calling at once. Real number
probably closer to 100 or more. My only guess is  that it must be a post-nesting
celebration. I did see an adult feeding a  fledgling today. .
Hermit Thrush  6
Wood Thrush  4
American  Robin  15
Gray Catbird  15     Seem to be singing  more now
Cedar Waxwing  8
Ovenbird  20
Louisiana  Waterthrush  4     2 juvies seen
Northern  Waterthrush  6     3 juvies seen with male calling  nearby
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler   7
Common Yellowthroat  10
American Redstart  2   Nesting along Kinney Hollow Rd across from upper
Hull  house
Magnolia Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  6
Yellow  Warbler  7
Chestnut-sided Warbler  8
Black-throated Blue  Warbler  3
Pine Warbler  8
Yellow-rumped Warbler   1
Black-throated Green Warbler  15
Canada Warbler  6
Chipping  Sparrow  12
Field Sparrow  1     FOY  and only  the 2nd time I've had one in the Yale
Forest area
Song Sparrow   4
Eastern Towhee  20     Seem more vocal now but not  usually singing entire
Scarlet Tanager  15
Northern  Cardinal  5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  4
Indigo Bunting   1     FOY Kinney Hollow Rd across from Hull House
Red-winged  Blackbird  2
Common Grackle  1
Brown-headed Cowbird   15
Purple Finch  1