[CT Birds] Passerine movement starting

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Jul 10 18:14:13 EDT 2017

Greg Hanisek responded to me but he meant to send it to everyone.
---

This to me is a difficult question and one that makes this time of year very interesting. The two concepts are somewhat fluid. Classic post-breeding dispersal is, for example, what occur with herons, egrets and other long-legged waders. Their breeding season is over at a time when there are no temperature or food constraints that would make them undertake strict directional migration to more favorable climes. In addition, the young are in heavy concentrations around breeding colonies. Taking all that into account, they're free to wander off in any direction for the next few months. Hence the Great Egret that suddenly appears in your backyard goldfish pond.
Things are not so clear with many other species, especially passerines. We're at the time where songbirds start showing up in places where we know they didn't breed. The question is: Did they disperse from breeding spots not too far away, or have they already begun migration that fits its definition - seasonal, predictable and annual. I don't think there's any way to be sure in most cases until we start seeing species that we know nested a significant distance away (Olive-sided Flycatcher, Tennessee Warbler etc).
Another way (a favorite of mine) is to go some place where you can watch visible migration, such as Lighthouse Point in New Haven. A cold front at this time of year can produce obvious directional movement (migration) of species such as Bobolinks, Eastern Kingbirds and swallows.
Greg HanisekWaterbury