[CT Birds] The Mulberry tree...

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 13 10:45:10 EDT 2017

 For two years, I have been keeping alist on how many bird species utilize my Mulberry tree for it's ripeberries. The list below is a result of this study and it reallysurprised me how many bird species use this available source fortheir diet. The berries ripen from late June through July, but mostberries have been consumed by early August. Of note. Some speciescan't wait till they ripen, and eat them well before they turn black.The Catbird is one of them. I was able to do this long study frombeing retired and able to observe from my yard this tree all throughthe summer. Below is my list of birds who I observed eating theseberries, and another of birds I suspect ate them, but not seeing themdo so.    Observed eating From the tree almostdaily: Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, DownyWoodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Bluejay, American Crow, EasternBluebird, American Robin, Catbird, Cedar Waxwing, Starling, ScarletTanager, Cardinal, Rose breasted Grosbeak, Grackle, Baltimore Oriole,Purple Finch, House Finch. = 18 species.   Observed eating From the ground: WildTurkey, Mourning Dove, Northern Flicker. = 3 species.
 Seen in tree and suspected eatingberries: Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, HermitThrush, Wood Thrush, Mockingbird, Pine Warbler, Red winged Blackbird,Goldfinch. = 8
That totals 29 species. I would saythat the wild Mulberry tree is an important food sourch for manyspecies of birds here in CT. Go plant one and see the many birds that utilize this important berry tree.
 Paul Carrier – Harwinton CT