[CT Birds] Sunday, Trail 2 Rd in Pachaug State Forest (Griswold)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Mon Jul 10 23:29:44 EDT 2017

Sunday at Pachuag State Forest in Griswold turnout was consistent for the seasonal migratory and resident birds.  Highlights included phoebes, wood pee-wees, kingbirds, swamp sparrows, barred owls calling, RT hawk, vireos, many more.  Lots of molting and numerous visible imms. and juveniles along with young adults seen that afternoon too.  If you travel in Griswold the roadside is still abundant with 'Keep Griswold Quiet' yard signs which refer to this specific area and all it hosts throughout the year.  I have yet to find in the community a sign such as 'Please allow a goliath of a shooting range parked adjacent to the Pachuag campgrounds, only sufficient to train security personnel from outside Connecticut who would sublet the campus for their training needs' but I have been approached to oppose the DPS development proposals from people who enjoy this state resource; my response is that I hope to benefit more appropriate intentions for this area to complement the adjacent forest and horse camps.   Brian Williams       Griswold