[CT Birds] The Mulberry tree...

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:14:02 EDT 2017

Just Google "Mulberry tree" and you'll find several sources.  Volunteers
appear regularly as well, if there are any in the general area.

We had two old mulberry trees when we moved here more than 30 years ago,
one red, one white.  As you have described, they were wildlife magnets and
the area around the trees was a "Peaceable Kingdom"of many species, bird,
mammal and others when the fruit was ripe.  Those trees fell over and died
of old age about 15 years ago and I ordered on line two supposedly ever
bearing trees of Italian origin as a replacement. (This was before I became
a passionate advocate of native plants.)  Neither of those trees made it,
one was girdled and one was too close to a black walnut, which I think was
the reason for its failure to thrive.

This spring we relocated three volunteers that appeared on the property and
all three are doing well, one is even large enough to have had berries this
year.  I don't know if these are native or not but they are vigorous and
the leaves are just like the ones I'm replacing.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut