[CT Birds] Acadian Flycatcher

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 17:35:56 EDT 2017

The typical order of arrival of nesting Empidonax in CT is Least, Acadian, Willow and Alder. Alder is generally latest of all nesting passerines to arrive. Of course there can be individual variation, and at a give spot territorial birds can be missed without extensive visits. This year I made regular checks on a known Acadian nesting area in Naugatuck State Forest but never detected one until well into June. By the way, nesting periods for a species can be difficult to find in the literature. The periods shown in "CT Birds By The Season" are based on eggs dates gleaned from a variety of sources for CT and surrounding states.
Greg Hanisek(Author of Birds By The Season)Waterbury