[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest update

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 22:36:51 EDT 2017

Lots of changes. Some species gone or completely quiet. But  still some
interesting finds. About a week ago I found a Broad-winged Hawk's  nest with 1
chick in it. Bird is still quite young, had white downy head and  neck when
I first saw it, though most of the down is gone now. Body plumage  looks
pretty much like juvenile though. The nest is right next to a  road but at
least 100 feet up and very difficult to see even when you know it's  there.  Mom
stands guard from trees about 100 feet away and screams when  anybody goes
near the nest tree.
Orioles are gone as in GONE! Haven't seen or heard one in over  a week.
Before that, for a week it was males only, no females or juveniles. They  had
already left. Seems backwards. But the early departure happens every year.
Had a Sharp-shinned Hawk today and several this summer, which  is unusual.
Talked to a friend of mine this AM about Worm-eating  Warblers, which I'm
sure I've been hearing for the last few weeks but not  seeing. Saw him again
at noon and he had found one, and following his directions  I did too. This
bird was not shy at all. I only get to see a few every year. Got  pics and a
recording. Only saw and heard 1 Least Flycatcher today. Been less  every
time I go lately. I'm guessing they're into their nesting cycle now. The  last
few weeks I've been seeing pairs chasing. No sign of Acadians now but if
they found mates, could be nesting also. But I never saw a pair together this
 year.
The Waterthrushes, both species, are completely quiet now and  I'm not even
sure they are still there. Their nesting cycles are over and juvies
fledged. Still Canada Warblers around but hardly ever singing. haven't heard the
Winter Wren much lately, but I believe they are year-round residents, so
maybe  nesting too.
Several Blackburnian Warblers still singing, 1 Magnolia, and  quite a few
BT Greens still singing also. Lots of Scarlet Tanagers yet, too.  Lots of
birds singing only partial or very lazy songs now.
Indigo Bunting and Field Sparrow again today. Thankfully, most  of the Bh
Cowbirds have suddenly disappeared.
 Even with the fungus I am seeing gypsy moth egg masses,  and found both
male and female moths today.
Overall, pretty quiet but still some interesting birds to find.

Jul 19, 2017 7:25 AM  - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
50 species

Great Blue  Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk   1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  3      Including a bird at a nest with 1 nestling
Red-tailed Hawk   1
Mourning Dove  9
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Hairy Woodpecker   1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Least  Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  10
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
Blue-headed Vireo  4
Red-eyed Vireo  10
Blue Jay   15
Tree Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted  Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper   1
Veery  10     Only one singing his song, the others  only the veer call.
Hermit Thrush  4     All 4  singing
American Robin  15
Gray Catbird  12
Cedar  Waxwing  4
Ovenbird  2
Worm-eating Warbler  2   1 heard only, one seen, heard, recorded and
photographed thanks to  a friend
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat   8
Magnolia Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  5
Yellow  Warbler  1     seen, not heard
Chestnut-sided  Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  4
Black-throated Green Warbler   15     1 seen foraging in road. Most are
only singing a couple of  notes of their song now.
Chipping Sparrow  15
Field Sparrow   1     same location as a week ago - logging cut on Kinney
Hollow  Rd, Union
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  10
Scarlet  Tanager  8     Many singing only partial song phrases  now.
Northern Cardinal  4
Indigo Bunting  1      Same location as Field Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Common  Grackle  1
Brown-headed Cowbird  2     Heard only -  all of a sudden they've
disappeared. Migration?
American Goldfinch   10

View this checklist online at

Don  Morgan