[CT Birds] Broad-Winged Hawk nest, Boston Hollow, Ashford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 23:59:45 EDT 2017

On July 10th I found a Broad-winged Hawk nest with 1 chick in  it. A that
time it was quite young, with an all white downy head, although the  body
appeared to be more like juvenile plumage. The nest was near the road but  at
least 100 feet up in the notch of a deciduous tree, and extremely hard  to
see.
I was led to the area by the mother who I heard screaming for  at least 20
minutes before I went looking. By luck, when I finally got to the  spot she
came flying through the forest and went straight to the nest, and after
some searching I spotted it. She continued calling from a tree about 200 feet
from the nest, so I set up my recorder and let it run for about 20 minutes.
It  was a windy day with quite a bit of aircraft traffic, so the recording
is noisy,  but a very good example of the Broad-wing call/song, even though
boring and  repetitious. The recording below is a 2 minute + excerpt.
Pictures include  the chick taken 9 days apart.
To date, mom and nestling are still doing  well.

Hopefully you will  be able to access the files in these  folders; If not
let me know and I'll try a different way. If it asks you to sign  in just
click the x in the upper right corner.

Folder of pics of Mom BW and chick
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dxnkffv9pjioq5l/AACz5b1BLW8ZyTPVxdnLyNGna?dl=0

Song in folder