[CT Birds] Long Island Sound Bird Survey 7/19

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 20 07:44:21 EDT 2017

With great pelagic rarities in other northeastern states recently (Yellow-nosed Albatross, Magnificent Frigatebird, Brown Pelicans, etc.), Connecticut birders may be wondering "what's out in Long Island Sound"?
I had the opportunity to conduct a bird survey aboard a research vessel yesterday, 7/19. We cruised the central section of the Sound from Milford/West Haven west to Norwalk in CT, and from near Eaton's Neck east to Port Jefferson, in NY. We travelled 67 miles over 7.5 hours, with time spend both in mid-Sound as well as both coasts.
So what was out there? In short, nothing exciting. No seabirds/pelagics of any kind. I did tally 61 Laughing Gulls, 18 Common Terns, 15 migrating Sanderlings, and 3 Tree Swallows. Also noted were two Red Admiral butterflies, 4 Navy training ships, and 16 floating balloons (a hazard for sea turtles who ingest them).
Full list on eBird.
Frank MantlikStratford