[CT Birds] A (birder's) Day at the Beach

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Jul 20 17:15:55 EDT 2017

We had the day off from work and, knowing how hot it was going to be, we
decided it would be nice to spend some time at the beach.  So, we went to
Hammonasset SP.  We got there early and took our kayaks out into the water,
launching from the Meigs Point beach area and paddling around Cedar Island.
That took a few hours.  After relaxing on the beach for a while with the
other beachgoers, we hiked the Cedar Island trail and then paid a visit to
the swan pond.  We saw a total of 53 species, including 11 shorebird
species, during our visit.  The highlight was seeing confirmation of nesting
Boat-tailed Grackle, as we observed a female feeding a juvenile on a piece
of driftwood out on the Cedar Island peninsula. Other notable observations
included: Little Blue Heron (adult and immature), Glossy Ibis, Clapper Rail,
Black-bellied Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Short-billed Dowitcher, Bank Swallow,
and Seaside Sparrow.  Full report on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge