[CT Birds] Late nesting Bluebirds

John Triana jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 24 22:52:31 EDT 2017

I have been monitoring bluebird boxes for over 15 years.  I typically check
the boxes every 2 weeks to monitor progress, although I don't always end my
"season" at the same time of year.

With all that said, the latest I have found a new clutch of eggs (4) was
Aug. 11, 2007.  I saw 3 nestlings on Aug. 26, 2007.  The nest was completely
empty on Sep. 9, 2007.  Without any infertile eggs or dead nestlings, I
assumed all 4 had fledged.

The weirdest one I remember was in 2003.  On June 28, I had a box where I
could see 4 tree swallow nestlings.  On July 12, the swallow nestlings had
all fledged and there was a lone bluebird egg in the nest.  To my eye, it
looked slightly larger than a typical bluebird egg.  I returned on July 26
and found 1 bluebird nestling in the box.  By August 10th, it had fledged as
the box was empty.

John Triana