[CT Birds] Hammo & Other Open Space

Patricia Bailey bails at att.net
Wed Jul 26 21:49:52 EDT 2017

I had a relatively easy time getting my town to stop mowing a town owned open space property by writing a letter for the town’s Conservation Commission.
The town was cutting the grass super short including the wetlands -- I guess they thought they had the authority cut down wetlands.  It looked more like a putting green than its name suggests “Munch Meadow”.  The Conservation Commission signed the letter addressed to the town’s selectmen with reasons not to cut the meadow but once a year.  Although the property was bought by the town for conservation reasons, it fell under the parks department's control.  The parks department wanted it to look like a green and it provided work for the town crew.  To my surprise the Republican First Selectman and two other Selectmen readily agreed with the Conservation Commission.  Many towns have conservations commissions and most of them would be happy to support conservation efforts if they were aware of them and you could give them the expertise they sorely need.  So I suggest you make a request to the local conservation commission.  Even if it's a state property within a town, I would think the state would want to support the town’s wishes expressed by the local conservation commission and you can always add your two cents separately.  Perhaps all you need to do is make a request to be put on the agenda, show up at a conservation commission meeting and write the letter for them.
Pat Bailey
(Member of the Town of Sherman Conservation Commission)

More information about the CTBirds mailing list