[CT Birds] The month birds don't sing; Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 20:10:54 EDT 2017

Below are Ebird reports for July 28 and 30, and I think the  difference is
striking, both in # of species and # of individuals. And perhaps  even more
noticeable compared to previous reports.
The subject refers to the month of August, and is a  saying I heard years
ago. And it's true. During August the woods are  almost silent. For all but a
very few species the nesting season is over, the  young are fledged and
many of the birds are actually already gone and headed  south. I did see 2 B
Orioles Sunday, a juvie and an apparent female, the first  in over three
weeks. And of course, the Gold Finches are just about in the  middle of their
breeding season right now.  But still, even at the end of  July, some areas
that had been full of birds were seemingly empty, and in  places  there was
hardly a sound.
Of course the non-migratory species aren't going far, and  Chickadees and
Titmice tend to be noisy anyway, so they are still noticeable  now. And there
is still an occasional call by a Downy or a Pileated or a  Red-bellied
Wood-pecker.  And once in a while, even a Broad-winged Hawk,  which will be
leaving shortly.
They don't make much noise but the Hummers are on the move too.  Yesterday
I had an adult male in my yard, feeding at my bee-balm and  never giving a
glance at the feeder  in the middle of them.

Jul 28, 2017 7:30 AM  - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
49 species

Great Blue  Heron  1
Cooper's Hawk  1     Barlow Mill Rd,  Ashford/Union line being mobbed by
chickadees
Red-shouldered Hawk   1
Broad-winged Hawk  3     2 adults and  fledgling
Red-tailed Hawk  1     intersection of BH and  BM rds.  being mobbed by
Jays.
Mourning Dove  5
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker   4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  5
Eastern Phoebe   8
Great Crested Flycatcher  3
Blue-headed Vireo  14   there are always a lot in the area, but they had
been quiet lately,  now much move vocal, presumably after their young have
fledged. However they  seldom sing their full songs now, and don't seem to be
as loud   sometimes.
Red-eyed Vireo  21
Blue Jay  20
Common Raven   1
Tree Swallow  3
Barn Swallow  6     Sitting on  a wire on Kinney Hollow Rd. Obvious
migrants, since i seldom see any at all in  the area. First this year.
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted  Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper   1
Winter Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Veery   1
Hermit Thrush  11     7 singing, 4 in a family group  foraging on Kinney
Hollow Rd. At least 2 were juveniles and dad flew off and  began singing.
American Robin  15
Gray Catbird  12
Cedar  Waxwing  6
Ovenbird  1
Worm-eating Warbler  1
Louisiana  Waterthrush  1
Northern Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white  Warbler  8     including a family of 5
Magnolia  Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Pine Warbler   1
Black-throated Green Warbler  15
Canada Warbler  4   at least 1 juvenile singing
Chipping Sparrow  5
Song  Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  5
Scarlet Tanager  3   All singing "tic bur" only
Northern Cardinal   6
Red-winged Blackbird  2     1 juvenile with  adult
American Goldfinch  15     1 sitting on a nest that  had been built and
used earlier by a pair of Am Redstarts, whose young only  fledged 2 or 3 weeks
ago.

View this checklist online at

Jul 30, 2017 8:20 AM  - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
33 species

Turkey  Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  3
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  4
Eastern Phoebe  5     incl. 1 very  young juvie
Great Crested Flycatcher  3
Blue-headed Vireo   8
Red-eyed Vireo  14
Blue Jay  9
Tree Swallow  3
Barn  Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse   5
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
House Wren  1
Veery   1
Hermit Thrush  4
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird   10
Cedar Waxwing  4
Black-and-white Warbler  5
Common  Yellowthroat  2
Pine Warbler  1
Canada Warbler  2   1 juvie
Chipping Sparrow  6
Song Sparrow   2
Eastern Towhee  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern  Cardinal  2
Baltimore Oriole  2     Big surprise -  first in 3 weeks or more. 1 juvie
and one probable adult F - foraging  together
American Goldfinch  10

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct