[CT Birds] Early morning flight

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 11:41:31 EDT 2017

Couldn't resist checking out Lighthouse Point, New Haven, on this fall-like day. As expected, the mid-summer Red-winged Blackbird flight was in full swing. From 7 to 9 a.m. I counted c 2300. Other migrants were in modest numbers - c 65 Cedar Waxwings, c 20 Chimney Swifts and Tree Swallows; and just 2 Eastern Kingbirds. I only heard one Bobolink and couldn't locate it in the sky  to see if it was part of a flock. There were a few Yellow Warblers present but no noticeable movement, and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, which sometimes stage good visible movements at this time of year, were not in evidence.
Greg HanisekWaterbury