[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford, Sunday, 8-6-17; Good day for raptors

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 22:09:57 EDT 2017

This post seems to have fallen through the cracks, so I'm  trying again.

A good wind early brought more raptors than usual, including 2  Bald
Eagles, heading north. Unfortunately this has been a bad year for raptors  overall
and I'm wondering if the windmills are making a noticeable difference in
the populations now. If not I'm sure they soon will. I think my sightings
have  been down about 50% overall, especially Turkey Vultures, which would be
easy  targets for fast-moving blades.
I did get a  good chance to try out a new camera with a  cooperative adult
Broad-wing sitting in a tree.
The flocks of Titmice and Chickadees seem bigger and louder now  than they
have been, and it's a good time to be watching them closely. Nothing
special but 1 flock yesterday had a Hairy Woodpecker and a WB Nuthatch in with
it.

BW pics and a few bonus shots here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/egrwduojxsvjl0r/AAC4Fc5iapctMoUHFfaVQNYXa?dl=0

Aug 6, 2017 8:00 AM  - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
30 species

Turkey  Vulture  7
Bald Eagle  2     1 looked like a  sub-adult, couldn't tell the other but
was not an adult. Traveling  together.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  4   2 flying, 1 in tree (pics) and BH juvie still
howling for momma in  woods
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1   Good look. Traveling with a flock of Titmice and
Chicadees
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue-headed  Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo  7
Blue Jay  10
American  Crow  3     N end of BH. Wouldn't be there when the ravens  were
nesting
Tree Swallow  6
Black-capped Chickadee   25
Tufted Titmouse  15
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House  Wren  1
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  4
Gray  Catbird  4
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Pine Warbler   1
Black-throated Green Warbler  9
Chipping Sparrow  4
Eastern  Towhee  2
Scarlet Tanager  1      Tic-bur-ing
Northern Cardinal  3
American Goldfinch  13   nest on Kinney hollow empty, no sign of an adult.
Maybe victim of  the weather

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct