[CT Birds] Boston hollow, etc Ebird reports 8-9 - 8-11-17

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 19:16:55 EDT 2017

Aug 9, 2017 8:00 AM  - 2:00 PM

Cedar Waxwing  5
Black-and-white  Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  2
Canada Warbler   2
Chipping Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  4
Scarlet Tanager   1
Northern Cardinal  4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1   adult female
Baltimore Oriole  1     adult  female
American Goldfinch  25

View this checklist online at

Aug 10, 2017 8:10 AM  - 1:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments:      Very quiet compared to yesterday
30 species

Turkey Vulture   2
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1      Juvie - calling, off Axe Factory Rd
Mourning Dove  3
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  5
Downy Woodpecker  5
Eastern Wood-Pewee   3
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue-headed Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo   6
Blue Jay  7
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree  Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse   11
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
House Wren  3      Axe Factory Rd
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  5

Gray  Catbird  6
Cedar Waxwing  8
Black-and-white Warbler   3
Common Yellowthroat  5     2 adults with 2 juvies still  being fed and 1
adult F. The pair of birds has been here for years I believe.  Based on dates
I'm sure the juvies represent a 2nd nesting
American  Redstart  2
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1     Juvenile.-  first seen/heard in at least 2
weeks
Canada Warbler  1
Chipping  Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  4
Northern Cardinal   2
American Goldfinch  12

View this checklist online at

Aug 11, 2017 7:50 AM  - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.5 mile(s)
35 species

Great Blue  Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk   1
Red-tailed Hawk  2     1 a calling juvie
Mourning  Dove  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2     one feeding  from a bull thistle flower
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy  Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee   5     All still singing, I think this is their nesting
period  with nestlings in the nests.
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue-headed  Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  15
Common  Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  30
Tufted Titmouse   20
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
House  Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2     Axe Factory  Rd
Hermit Thrush  4     All singing
American  Robin  1
Gray Catbird  12
Cedar Waxwing   20
Black-and-white Warbler  6
Common Yellowthroat  3   heard 1 sing just a single time
American Redstart   1
Canada Warbler  4     2 juvies trying to sing like dad.  And failing.
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  1
Eastern  Towhee  4
Northern Cardinal  2
Baltimore Oriole  3   With mixed flock on Axe Factory
American Goldfinch   25

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct