[CT Birds] New London Ferry - highlights
mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 7 14:29:36 EDT 2017
8/7. Five birders rode the 7am ferry on LI Sound from New London to Orient (NY) and back...under cloudy skies with calm seas and before the rain began. Highlights were:
- WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS: at least 7 in CT and 11 in NY. All were near mid-Sound.
- ROSEATE TERNS: numerous birds among flocks of Common Terns in both CT and NY.
- 7 BLACK TERNS flying together in NY waters.
-4 BLACK SCOTERS and 9 COMMON EIDERS in CT waters; the former were near mid-Sound, the latter along the harbor shore on the Groton side.
- 1 COMMON LOON in NY waters.
- One large beaked DOLPHIN Species in NY waters. No photos, but good profile view when it surfaced. Bottle-nosed ?
Full lists on eBird.
Sent from my iPhone
More information about the CTBirds