[CT Birds] LI Sound birding 8/16

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 15:34:36 EDT 2017

from Nick Bonomo, Frank Gallo, Dave Provencher, Phil Rusch, and Glenn Williams:

We birded the eastern end of the Long Island Sound in Nick's boat from the Mystic River to north of the Race and back.  We stayed on the NY/CT border except to go out to where there were feeding flocks of birds near the Race.

CT waters: 2 CORY'S SHEARWATERS (one at the border south of Waterford where the Orient Point ferry crosses, and one south of Groton at the border), six WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS, a number of ROSEATE TERNS, and two RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS.

NY waters: 12 CORY'S SHEARWATERS, 2 PARASITIC JAEGERS, 10 WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS, and some ROSEATE TERNS

Plenty of odes and butterflies migrating.  Unfortunately, a large amount of mylar balloons.  We collected many and Nick filled a garbage bag with them yesterday.

Glenn Williams
Mystic