[CT Birds] Question about purple finches and evening grosbeaks

Cathy or Bob Maleski Maleski at msn.com
Thu Aug 17 08:03:33 EDT 2017

As far as I can tell, while I have seen house finches all over the country, I believe I have only seen one pair of purple finches in my life. They were in a tree hollow at Laurel Marsh in Manchester CT.  I grew up in Massachusetts near Greenfield, and frequented the woods when I was young.  I have lived in Ellington CT area the last 43 years.  So, my question is where are the purple finches to be found?

Also, in Massachusetts evening grosbeaks were an automatic every winter, with flocks sure to come every time we threw out sunflower seeds.  I have never seen one in CT.  Are they in major decline, or did their range move to the north?

Any replies would be appreciated.