[CT Birds] Help Wanted for a Goose Survey

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 18:54:54 EDT 2017

Min Huang has asked me to pass this on in hopes you all can help:

This year the Wildlife Division is conducting an independent population
estimate of the Resident Canada goose population.  We do this every 3 or 4
years. Although we conduct annual breeding surveys, it is beneficial once
in a while to estimate the population through a different means in order to
get a feel for production and to validate, to some extent, the spring
survey.

To that end, we placed neck collars on a number of geese throughout the
state.  Now we are asking your help in collecting some data for us.  During
the week of August 21st, if you are out and about and see geese, please get
us the following information:

Flock size

Location

Date

Number of collared birds, and if possible, the individual codes of those
collars

That's it!  We can then take those data and derive an estimate of the total
population in the state.

Please email Min Huang or Kelly Kubik with the information:

Min.huang at ct.gov

Kelly.kubik at ct.gov

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut