[CT Birds] September Big Day

Paul Desjardins paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 21:24:02 EDT 2017

Paul Desjardins
paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
Phone: (860) 623-3696

I always wanted to break my record for the most number of bird species seen on a day in September. My old record was 94 set back on September 8, 1994 with 94 species. I am certain I had Rock Pigeon but they were not countable  until the following year. Anyway, I started out at Northwest Park in Windsor with a good flight of warblers including Bay Breasted and 2 tennessees. Was not sure what day I wanted to do a big September but with such a good movement of birds I decided to go for it. It turned out to be an interesting day missing Red Tailed Hawk but seeing a calling Red Shouldered perched atop a building at the park. Also, having found the rarer warblers my last warbler species of the day was a Black And White Warbler! Two Glossy Ibis at Shell Beach in Guilford were nice as was the Black Skimmer in Stratford and the 3 Whimbrels were still at Milford Point. You always miss birds that you should have seen but I still ended up with 98 species.

Paul Desjardins
Windsor Locks