[CT Birds] Short Beach and Birdseye Boat Ramp, Stratford

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:41:27 EDT 2017

I went to the two locations noted above in an attempt to add common nighthawk to my Fairfield County list. I stopped first at Birdseye in the hope that I could also add black skimmer to my county list. Happily, the juvenile bird that was most recently reported on the fifth was still present.  A peregrine flew over as I was leaving.  A walk up the entire length of short beach revealed no nighthawks, but I did have a flyover Merlin and a very pretty sunset. As I was making my way back to my car several minutes after sundown, two birds came jetting over my head rapidly flying south towards the sound.  They were nighthawks!

A pleasing conclusion to a day that was otherwise pedestrian at best.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

Sent from my iPhone so blame Apple for any grammatical weirdness in this note.