[CT Birds] 9/8 -- West Haven, Sandy Point - Baird's Sandpipers, American Pipit, Pied-billed Grebe

Gina Nichol gina at sunrisebirding.com
Sat Sep 9 11:49:50 EDT 2017

A somewhat quiet but very nice morning at Sandy Point.  I first spotted the
Pied-billed Grebe from the viewing platform in the parking lot. It was way out
in the lagoon (very low water).  When I walked out to try and photograph it, it
had vanished.  By the time I got back to the viewing platform, there is was
again in the same spot!  A Peregrine was harassing the gulls which was fun to
watch.  And, there were 2 nice looking Baird's Sandpipers out on the beach.  Not
too many other shorebirds though.  Ebird list below.
Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
Sandy Point, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Sep 9, 2017 8:45 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments:     Walking out the lagoon trail, crossing over the Morse Point and
back along the beach.
26 species

Mute Swan  2
Pied-billed Grebe  1     In the lagoon, seen from the platform in the parking
Double-crested Cormorant  20
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  4
Osprey  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Clapper Rail  1
Semipalmated Plover  18
Sanderling  1
Baird's Sandpiper  2
Laughing Gull  8
Ring-billed Gull  28
Herring Gull  5
Mourning Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Peregrine Falcon  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  60
American Pipit  1
Field Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  2
House Finch  4
American Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  7

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39080333
Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
gina at sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724