[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw, Yale Forest, WED., 9-13-17; Another Barred Owl, C Loon

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 19:21:15 EDT 2017

Still birds around, including migrants; you just have to look  for them.
Several species of Warbler plus one "confusing fall warbler" I  couldn't ID.
Had yet another Barred Owl sighting, about 100 yards from where  I had a
downy juvenile early in August. Could be the same bird, sibling or  parent. I
was able to get some pics, despite bad lighting and distance, and when  I
looked at them I got a surprise. The last 2 are dark and a little out of
focus, but look closely! Link below.
Also my first ever for BH, a Common Loon flew right over my  head, just off
Boston Hlw Road. And it was going north.
And despite migration, there were still 2 Broad-winged Hawk  juveniles
calling in the woods.

Link to Owl pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4e34nnxl8x1yop4/AAC5CYyZ2zoWqJS-dS4wrNh2a?dl=0

Sep 13, 2017 7:30 AM  - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
33 species

Common  Loon  1     A first for BHYF. It flew right over my head,
following the Boston Hollow valley.
Broad-winged Hawk  2   Juvies, calling, one seen in flight.
Mourning Dove   5
Barred Owl  1     In same area as several previous  sightings. Owl was
carrying a grey squirrel and wouldn't  share.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy  Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2