[CT Birds] Peoples State Forest - ad hoc hawk watch 9/12

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Wed Sep 13 10:07:33 EDT 2017

Spent 2.5 hours at the Grand Vista overlook on the Jessie Gerard Trail in Peoples State Forest (near the end of Warner Rd).  The view is to the west and southwest.  Hazy skies and distance made counting a challenge, but I tallied 221 Broad-wings between 11:30 and 12:30.  Also: 3 Sharp-shins and a juvenile Harrier.  "Locals" included an adult and an immature Bald Eagle, a Red-tail and a Cooper's Hawk.

On Sunday, I will be conducting a hawk watch there from 9:00 to 1:00 (or later, if there are birds).  It is sponsored by the Friends of American Legion and Peoples State Forests (FALPS).

John Weeks
North Granby