[CT Birds] Menhaden Hearing Coming Up

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 20:59:28 EDT 2017

To anyone familiar with Atlantic Menhaden conservation, I would
appreciate some clarification.

Amendment 3 is up for public comment (and there was a meeting on
Monday night, which I could not attend because I was working).

As far as I can understand, 2013's Amendment 2 "established a
first-ever commercial total allowable catch (TAC) for Atlantic
menhaden and divided this catch into commercial quotas for
participating jurisdictions from Maine through Florida."

As a birder/fisherman who spends some time on the sound from April
through November, a positive effect on Menhaden (AKA Bunker)
population in Long Island Sound was felt almost immediately. This is,
I believe, the third consecutive summer in which the menhaden
population, young and adult, have exploded in LIS. Schools of these
fish are everywhere.

I'm wondering how the proposed regulations for Amendment 3 differ from
those imposed by Amendment 2, which obviously had a major impact
locally.

Any information on, or correction to, what I've said above, would be
very much appreciated.

Also, of the options presented, what makes option E so desirable? How
does it compare to the other proposed options? My knowledge of fish
population conservation is limited and I did not have the time to read
the entire document.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick Bonomo