[CT Birds] Possible FRANKLIN'S GULL

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 16:11:30 EDT 2017

9/19 Groton, Avery Point - About 3:15pm Tina Green and I saw a possible/probable adult (or near adult) FRANKLIN'S GULL in flight over the mouth of New London Harbor near the NL Ledge Lighthouse. In comparison to nearby Laughing Gulls, Tina saw that it was noticeably smaller. To both of us it also looked shorter winged and less pointy winged. The wings above were generally medium gray, then with what looked like a thin white band, and then black wingtips. We scoped it for several minutes, last seeing it head west toward Ocean Beach Park or Harkness State Park. Be on the lookout.
Also here were 4 female Common Eiders.

Other sites:
Stonington Pt- 15 COMMON EIDERS, 1 or more GREAT CORMORANTS.
Old Saybrook, Harvey's Beach (FM) - 6 Forster's Terns, 1 juv Black Skimmer.
Cornfield Pt - 4+ FORSTER's Terns.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone