[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/23

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 14:31:04 EDT 2017

Phil Rusch, Doug Warner, and I manned the hot corner at Bluff Point, joined later by others.

Highlights:

550 warblers of nine species (the walk in afterwards accounted for 50 of those and one species)
DICKCISSEL (seen after we had walked in, working toward the hot corner)
SWAINSON'S THRUSH - 2
PURPLE MARTIN - 12 (all juveniles- dispersing with 400 Tree Swallows)
BOBOLINK - 26

The majority of warblers were American Redstarts, but that is probably due to ease of ID in flight.  Blackpolls were probably more numerous.  Because of the high wind, the birds were flying out high, moving evasively, and unseeable when landing in the hot corner trees. Warbler totals including walking in: American Redstart (195), Blackpoll Warbler (27 - undercounted), Black-throated Blue Warbler (15), Black-and-white Warbler (21), Northern Parula (32), Ovenbird (1), Common Yellowthroat (6), Chestnut-sided Warbler (1), and Black-throated Green (2).  All of the warblers in flight that were identified were of the easier to ID variety.
Glenn Williams
Mystic