[CT Birds] Hammo landscaping

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:51:24 EDT 2017

I was at Hammo this evening and noticed that some of the best remaining shorebird pools were filled in the field across from the Swan Pond. I know that we're told they are obligated to fill these if met with a complaint, presumably for liability purposes. Still, a bummer. I will make a few drives over the newly placed sand and gravel each time I am there. At least it isn't asphalt bits, I guess?

On a positive note, the weedy islands and edges in/around the new west end parking lot held several Savannah Sparrows, giving some hope that these tiny strips of habitat surrounded by asphalt will be useful to sparrows this fall.

Can COA touch base with the folks in charge at Hammo and make sure that these areas are NOT mowed at all? I fear of course that they will do some sort of end-of-season landscaping that will destroy any use these spots will serve. They probably do not know that these plants go to seed in the fall and serve as food for birds through the winter.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT

Sent from my iPhone