[CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest, 9-26-17 Swainsons Thrush, Winter Wren, 19 sp.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Sep 26 22:52:10 EDT 2017

Not a lot of birds around, but a few notable ones. A Winter  Wren in Boston
Hollow was the first bird I saw and first Winter Wren in 2  months.
Foraging about 8 feet from car.
Also, a Swainsons Thrush and a singing Blue-headed Vireo in  Union, in with
a flock of foraging Chickadees.
Also,  several calling Eastern Towhees. Ebird seems to  think that's
unusual at this date, but Towhees have been in the same locations  all year as in
years past. I believe these are the same birds getting a late  start.

Sep 26, 2017 7:50 AM  - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
19 species

Turkey  Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  2
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy  Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  7
Blue-headed Vireo  1   Still singing his song, although slowly
Blue Jay   25
Black-capped Chickadee  30
Tufted Titmouse   2
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
House Wren  4     1  pair seen, others heard
Winter Wren  1     Seen in swamp  next to Boston Hollow Rd. 1st one in 2
months
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher   2
Swainson's Thrush  1     In woods by Kinney Hollow Rd  just over Union
line. With same flock of Chickadees as the BH Vireo. Heavy dark  streaking from
throat on light breast. Top of head, back and tail all very dark.  No hint
of red on tail or anywhere else. Wide white eye-ring.
Gray  Catbird  4
Cedar Waxwing  6
Pine Warbler  8   still singing where ever there are mature pines.
Song  Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed)  4     Typical  call-note. These birds have been
here all along, or at least, birds in the same  locations.

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct