[CT Birds] Milford Point

Justin Lawson justindlawson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 11:01:41 EDT 2017

my wife, Joseph Cala and I went to Milford Point this morning. Immediately
there was a Merlin on the Purple Martin gourds eaiting. Out on the beach we
had 2 Whimbrel and many American Oystercatchers. We sad at the spartina for
awhile photographing Nelson’s Sparrows and had 1 Saltmarsh Sparrow and 1
calling Clapper Rail.

complete list.

Coastal Center at Milford Point, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Oct 1, 2017 6:52 AM - 10:09 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.28 mile(s)
Comments:     deer on way in.
37 species

Brant (Atlantic)  3
Canada Goose  8
American Black Duck  1
Double-crested Cormorant  12
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  8
Snowy Egret  4
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Clapper Rail  1
American Oystercatcher  16
Black-bellied Plover  40
Semipalmated Plover  3
Whimbrel  2     photos
Sanderling  80
Dunlin  6
Least Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  24
Greater Yellowlegs  6
Lesser Yellowlegs  3
Bonaparte's Gull  3
Laughing Gull  1
Ring-billed Gull  5
Herring Gull (American)  19
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
Merlin  1
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  2
Carolina Wren  1
American Robin  2
European Starling  5
Nelson's Sparrow  15     at least this many. photographed many. more likely
20-25. conservative count of at least 5 in 3 separate spartina patches.
Saltmarsh Sparrow  1
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  3